Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Swiss Pain au Chocolat

Simple pastry with French roots. Filled with Swiss chocolate takes it to a whole new level.






Ingredients:

  • Croissants (I used mini ones, but reg. size is great too)
  • Swiss chocolate bars (I used Lindt)
  • crystal sugars
  • 1  egg white, beaten
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to  350°F.
  2. Split open croissants and place squares of chocolate inside, enough to cover the bottom.
  3. Beat an egg white and brush a tiny bit on top of the croissant, not enough to soak, it, but just enough so the sugars stick without dissolving, then sprinkle with crystal sugars.
  4. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes (ours were ready at 7 minutes).

3 comments:

  1. These are excellent. My croissant choices were about 100 from Costco and the refrigerated dough kind. I had my doubts about the Pillsbury ones, but cooked them to light brown, split them, added chocolate and cooked 8 minutes more. The flakier ones might have been better, but these were also great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great easy recipe! I used some really poor gluten free croissants which definitely improved a lot being used for this recipe LOL I used Lindt 85% chocolate. Thanks for posting!
    Made this for Culinary Quest 2015 / Switzerland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe Sue, quick and easy to make. Very very satisfying, we enjoyed them tremendously. I used already baked croissiants and Lindt chocolate. Thank you for sharing a recipe that we will enjoy often, next time I may add some marzipan on top of the chocolate. Made for Best of 2015. BK ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! ~Sue