Toasts Perdu au Oeufs Canadien
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
- 2 free-range organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 (1/2-inch slices) French boule bread or artisan whole grain boule bread
- 2 free-range organic eggs, poached or cooked over/soft
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, warmed
- In a small dish large enough to hold bread slices, lightly beat eggs with cream and maple syrup.
- Dip slices of bread in beaten egg mix, then place on a hot, lightly greased griddle over medium-low heat, cooking on both sides until golden.
- Top each pieces of toast with a poached or fried egg, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, and a drizzle of maple syrup.