Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Swiss Fried Apples

I've heard this is a usual alpine breakfast dish. In  Ohio where Amish is very big, we do the same, except the addition of bread might seem  a little different. But with a cinnamon sugar  dusting,  it is quite good (and familiar) and joins well with the apples in the skillet.



Ingredients:


  • 2 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I used granny smiths)
  • 3 tablespoons  butter, separated
  • 1/4 teaspoon  cinnamon
  • 2 pieces white bread,toasted
  • butter and cinnamon sugar (for toast)
  • small drizzle honey,  maybe  1-2 teaspoons


Method:


  1. Heat 2 tablespoons  butter in a skillet and add the apples, and cook,  stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften, but not all the way.
  2. While they cook, toast the bread and add butter and cinnamon sugar to the toast to make cinnamon toast.
  3. Cut the toast into cubes (I just used  kitchen shears).
  4. After the five minutes are up, stir the toast cubes into the apples along with  that last pat of butter and stir.
  5. Cook another 5 minutes, until the apples  soften and start to brown just a little bit; drizzle with the honey and stir again.


Serves 2-4
Total time:  15-20 minutes or so in all.

4 comments:

  1. After seeing your photo just had to try this and am glad I did. The tart apples with the cinnamon toast makes a very different yet tasty combo and nice contrast of flavors. Thanks Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was delicious and easy to make! I used apples from my sister in law's garden (variety unknown but may be Braeburn). I also used homemade rustic bread that was day old and local lavender honey for drizzling. A light sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg was added to the top. I took a portion of the mixture and tried with a splash of milk! Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, was this good. I loved this Sue. It was so quick and easy to make with excellent results. All my favorite flavors in one dish; I will be making his often. It is lovely and comforting. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest - Switzerland - 2015
    (BK)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really good. How can you go wrong with cinnamon toast croutons? I used Granny Smith apples. (sheepdoc)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! ~Sue