- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 (4-6 inch piece) French baguette, split lengthwise
- Dijon mustard (to taste)
- 1 ripe heirloom tomato, sliced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 ounces (4 slices) Emmental cheese
- Saute onions in butter until soft; stir in the wine and reduce.
- Spread bread halves with Dijon and top with tomato slices.
- Cover tomatoes with caramelized onions, salt and black pepper to taste, then cheese slices.
- Broil in an oven or toaster oven until cheese melts and is golden brown.
Time: 10 minutes