Russian Potato and Mushroom Croquettes
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
- 1 pound Russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced yellow onion
- 3 ounces white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1.5 cups dried bread crumbs
- cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Scrub potatoes, pat dry, wrap in foil and bake in the preheated oven for 75 minutes, then allow to cool.
- Heat oil in a skillet and saute onions until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; continue to cook until mushrooms have lost their moisture and are cooked through; allow to cool somewhat.
- Peel the cooled baked potatoes and place in a mixing bowl with the egg, chives, salt and black pepper; mash mixture with a potato masher.
- Stir in the cooked mushroom mixture and mix well.
- Place bread crumbs on a shallow bowl or plate; heat oil about half inch deep in the skillet.
- Take mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls (I use a standard cookie dough scoop to make it easy) and drop in the bread crumbs, coating thoroughly.
- Flatten ball into a patty/cake and place in the hot oil.
- Cook until golden on both sides, using a fork to gently flip them; drain on paper toweling.
- Serve with sour cream and chives if desired. Although not Russian, Thousand Island dressing would be excellent with this as well (I like that with my sauerkraut and potato croquettes which are quite similar.)
Makes: 20 croquettes
Time: about 2 hours (including time to bake potatoes)
Visit my other food blog at:
All material © Sue Lau and Palatable Pastime