Simple Flour Tortillas
This recipe is an adaptation of a tortilla recipe found in Elena's Secrets of Mexican Cooking by Elena Zelayeta.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons lard or shortening
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Mix together lard, salt, and flour with a pastry cutter or food processor until lard is incorporated.
- Add water a bit at a time and knead into a smooth dough.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces, roll into a ball, and let sit for 30 minutes under a towel or plastic wrap.
- Place dough ball on a piece of waxed paper, flatten slightly, then top with another piece of paper and slightly flattened dough ball.
- Roll dough this way, 2 pieces at a time into 8 inch circles.
- Cook tortillas for a couple of minutes on an ungreased comal or cast iron skillet; avoid breaking any bubbles and lightly brown each side.
- Allow to cool then store in a ziplock bag until needed.