- 1/4 cup dashi stock
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 skinny Japanese eggplants, split and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons sake mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Whisk the dashi, egg yolk, miso, sugar, mirin and sake together in a small bowl.
- Place sauce in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until it thickens like gravy, stirring constantly.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook eggplant pieces, first cooking cut-side down until they brown nicely, then turning them over, adding the sake-water mix, and continuing to cook until they are fork-tender.
- Serve covered with the thick sauce and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
about 15 minutes total