Monday, July 27, 2015

Rumaki

Classic bacon-wrapped livers with a sweet glaze.


This is a recipe I have been working on for a few years. Normally I don't spend that much time with a recipe, but I have to admit I don't have this appetizer very often.  It is stylized after what I remember Joy Richardson's rumaki tasting like at a Halloween party I attended in 1988. I feel I have gotten very close after several attempts.
It  makes a fantastic party appetizer for the holidays if you are into retro-type recipes.


Marinade:

  • 20 ounces chicken livers (rinsed and drained)
  • 1/4 cup Japanese soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup wine (dry white wine or rice wine)
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon garlic paste
  • 1 tablespoon ginger paste
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil

Other:

  • 1 pound bacon (thin/regular, not thick)
  • Water chestnuts, sliced, 1 can
  • Brown sugar as needed
  • Toothpicks
  • 1/2 cup Teriyaki grilling glaze  (click for recipe)
Method:


  1. Stir together marinade and marinate livers overnight.
  2. Wrap bacon around small pieces of chicken liver along with water chestnut slice; secure with a toothpick.
  3. Roll rumaki in brown sugar.
  4. Place rumaki on a rack sprayed with nonstick spray over a rimmed baking sheet (to allow excess liquid to drip away).
  5. Broil rumaki at 450F for 8 minutes then turn over, drain off pan drippings and broil for 8 more minutes.
  6. Baste with teriyaki grilling glaze and broil 2 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! ~Sue